Open Door offers free confidential counselling and psychotherapy to young people aged 12 up to age 24* living in Haringey. We provide a safe space for young people to talk through a range of issues including problems at home, school, college or work; difficulties with relationships; problems with drugs or alcohol; anger or aggression; depression or anxiety; self-harm or eating difficulties.
* For new referrals of 23-24 year olds, we are temporarily suspending our waiting list due to high demand and funding issues. This will not affect young adults already on the waiting list. We apologise for this and are working hard to ensure that our full service for young adults is restored as soon as possible.
We recognise that young people do not all experience emotional difficulties in the same way, nor do they all need or want the same kind of help. Open Door is committed to developing a service which offers a range of effective, evidence-based interventions to meet the needs of young people from early adolescence to young adulthood.
We are able to offer:
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Mindfulness Based Therapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Adolescents (IPT-A)
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT)
- Systemic Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
Young people are offered anything from a one-off consultation to two years of weekly psychotherapy.
We also have a number of specialist services including:
- A psychotherapy service for young people with special needs
- A secondary school therapy service
- The Parenting Teenagers Project** for parents of young people aged 12-21
We accept both self and professional referrals to all our services. All a young person or concerned parent / carer need do, is pick up a phone or send an e-mail.
**It is with regret that we are temporarily suspending the Parenting Teenagers Project pending new funding. This will not affect parents/carers already on the waiting list nor those who will be attending Open Door as part of their child’s treatment or as part of family therapy. Please call if you would like to discuss this further or to put yourself on the waiting list for when the service is resumed. We apologise for this and are working hard to ensure that our full service is restored as soon as possible.
In the meantime if you want parenting support for adolescent children you can contact the Young Minds Service on 0808 802 5544
Haringey Mind are also running groups for parents/carers: www.mindinharingey.org.uk
If you have immediate concerns about the mental health and wellbeing of your child you should contact your GP practice for advice or take them to the A&E department of your local hospital.